What exactly is an Orthopedic Surgeon?
Orthopedic Surgeons – Who are they and what do they do? We’re glad you asked! If you’re suffering from joint pain, osteoarthritis, back pain, or one of numerous ailments listed below, it’s time to pay your doctor a visit to see if a trip to an Orthopedic Surgeon is appropriate. Don’t go on suffering with the symptoms of these conditions. Consult a physician first and foremost. That starts with knowing what type of physican to visit!
An Orthopedic Surgeon is a type of physician that works with the musculoskeletal system. The musculoskeletal system includes bones, ligaments, nerves, muscles, joints, and tendons. Often an Orthopedic Surgeon will specialize in specific areas, such as the ankle, foot, hand, shoulder, spine, knee, or hip. This type of physician also may focus on a specific field, such as pediatrics, trauma, reconstructive surgery, oncology, or sports medicine. For more information on different types of Orthopedic Surgeons, check out this interesting article from Chron. http://work.chron.com/types-orthopedic-surgeons-4249.html
What type of ailments do Orthopedic Surgeons treat?
An Orthopedic Surgeon can treat many musculoskeletal conditions, often without surgery. It’s common for these physicians to use medications, exercise and other rehabilitative or alternative therapies to treat various ailments. They also may recommend surgical treatment if the patient does not respond to other treatments.
Some of the conditions and diseases an orthopedic surgeon treats include:
- Growth abnormalities
- Sports and work-related injuries
- Tendon injuries, pulled muscles, bursitis, torn cartilage
- Torn ligaments, sprains and strains
- Abnormalities of the fingers and toes
- Bone tumors, muscular dystrophy, cerebral palsy
- Club foot, bunions, bow legs, knock knees, unequal leg length
- Fractures and dislocations
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Back pain, ruptured disks, sciatica, scoliosis
For more information on what we treat at Comprehensive Orthopedics of the Gulf Coast, click here http://comporthogulfcoast.com/services/
Surgeries Orthopedic Surgeons Perform
Orthopedic surgeons perform numerous types of surgeries. Common surgeries include:
- Arthroscopy – a procedure using special cameras and equipment to visualize, diagnose and treat problems inside a joint.
- Internal Fixation – a method to hold the broken pieces of bone in proper position with metal plates, pins or screws while the bone is healing.
- Joint replacement (partial, total and revision) – when an arthritic or damaged joint is removed and replaced with an artificial joint called a prosthesis.
- Osteotomy – the correction of bone deformity by cutting and repositioning the bone.
- Fusion – a “welding” process by which bones are fused together with bone grafts and internal devices – such as metal rods – to heal into a single solid bone.
- Soft Tissue Repair – the mending of soft tissue, such as torn tendons or ligaments.
So, if you find you are suffering from back pain, sports injuries, arthritic hips and knees, or stiff neck muscles, it may be time to see an Orthopedic Surgeon! For more information about us or to ask a question, visit http://comporthogulfcoast.com/contact/