How Can You Prevent Sports Injuries?
According to John Hopkins Medicine, there are ways that you can prevent sports injuries. They list out the following steps that you can put into practice to prevent sports injuries:
- Warm up properly before any physical activity.
- Alternate exercising different muscle groups and exercise every other day.
- Cool down properly after exercise or sports.
- Stretching exercises can improve the ability of muscles to contract and perform, reducing the risk of injury.
- Shoe support may correct certain foot problems that can lead to injury.
- If you do sustain a sports injury, make sure you participate in adequate rehabilitation before resuming strenuous activity.
Most injuries can be cared for with simple measures (Remember the acronym PRICE: Protection, Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation). However, some injuries do require special treatment like physical therapy or surgery. Many sports injuries look inflamed, so you must actively pay attention to the healing process within the first few days. If you do not notice any significant improvement, it might be the time to consider seeing a doctor.
At Comprehensive Orthopaedics of the Gulf Coast, we specialize in treating sports injuries. If you are experiencing any pain from an injury sustained by playing athletics, please feel free to call us for an appointment and evaluation.